Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Things I May Regret Later

So, I have been thinking about the fall at school. I love my kid's Charter School. It is great. I have met many great people and have had fun being on different committees, but they are on my short list today. Oaklee does not turn 5 until September 15th and the cutoff date for our school is September 1st. So What? Do I hold Oaklee back for a whole year because she is 2 weeks too late (She was born 5 weeks early... If she followed the rules, we wouldn't have this topic to cover). Oaklee loves to try to read. She is getting good and she is READY for Kindergarten. Well, there is a new charter school going up by our house. They will take Oaklee. I respect many of the people involved with the start up of this new school. They talked me into going where Charlee is now and I am so glad I went there. Will I regret moving Charlee? Will I regret starting Oaklee early? My little sister in law was held back because of her BDay. All of her church friends are in 8th grade while she is in 7th. That stinks!! But then I think of having my 13 year old in high school where some 19 year old Senior will like her and cringe. High School is also the only time to go to dances and she can't do that until she is a Junior. That stinks too. See my Dilemma?? Any Advice??

7 comments:

Carla said...

Scottee,
I started my daughter and she was the youngest in her class. She couldn't date or drive until her jr. year. Academically she has excelled and done very well, socially she has always been behind. I didn't notice this when she was 5 but it became apparent by jr. high. I think it would have been better for her to be one of the oldest of her class. Just my opinion.

domesticDivaX3 said...

Scottee,

I was one that was allowed to start early and by the time highschool came, it was just awful! I graduated when I was just 16, SOOOO when all my friends were driving and dating and going places I was still treated like a 16 yr old. It was difficult for me, but at the same time I was alot more innocent than my peers so I guess it has its up and downs. Good luck and I am sure you will make a great choice (:

john and brenda said...

Pray! Oaklee is socially and intellectualy ready, but only Heavenly Father knows what is down the road. It's good to solicit advise, but only you and Brian can decide what is best for O. Go with your gut!

Brooklynn said...

hey my mom held me back and I wish she hadn't. She did the same with Devin, he didn't like it in the long fun either. I say to put Oaklee in kindergarten!

Allison Barry said...

i also have a late birthday, sept 3...(3 days too late!) and started late. i didn't mind it at all. my birthday parties were always "beginning of the school year kick-off parties." it doesn't matter what age oaklee is...she is dang smart and needs to be schooled!!!

Angie said...

I think the age cutoff is a state law. But many schools offer "young learner kinder" for kids who will turn 5 before the end of December. That's probably what the other charter school has. I think if she's ready to start, you should start her at the new school and then for first grade you can always transfer her back to the school where Charlee is currently (if that's where Charlee will be next year).

Justin and I will be in that same situation in a few years with Sophie & Grace. I'm interested to see what you choose and how it goes. Good luck!!

Kenise said...

I'm in the same boat as you with Camryn!!! It stinks because she is ready academically and I think she would be fine socially as well but there is all that fun stuff to think about as they get older. I just don't want all of her friends to go to school and her be left behind.
I had a Nov B-day and my mom held me back and I say for the most part I thoght it was great--it made it a lot easier to go to those "mandatory" school dances when I was 16 and could go with a date!
But I might not get to make the decision with budget cuts on the horizon. Our school told me early entry for Kinder won't be an option if they start cutting.
Good luck with your decision--but I do agree with your mother-in-law prayer is probably the best way to make the choice!