Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Bumpie Update!!

So, since we took away Oaklee's bumpie a while back (Check out September 27th post), she has made a new friend. Although she still sleeps with a paper print out of the original Bumpie, now a new Bumpie has mangled its way into her heart. I washed the new Bumpie and she asked me where it was almost the entire time. Then we had the following conversation:


Mom: Your Bumpie is in the washer, it stinks.
Oaklee: It does not stink...it's fine!!
Mom: Okay, but it is still in the washer.
Oaklee: But I need his help.
Mom: Oaklee, I did not know Bumpie was a boy.
Oaklee: Hmmm. No, Bumpie is a girl.
Mom: Then doesn't that make him a her?
Oaklee: Yeah, I need his help.
Mom: No, her help.
Oaklee: Oh, Okay, her help.


So, how does a mere blanket get promoted to the status of "Oaklee's Bumpie"?? Well, first it has to be a striped blanket given out at the hospital at birth. Next, it has to be the most tattered of the group of such blankies. Then and most important, it must be stained and stinky. Only when all of these elements are satisfied can Oaklee truly love the "New Bumpie"!!

6 comments:

Brianne said...

I am sorry Oaklee had to give up her bumpie but I know how you feel as the mother because Mattie has a blankie that she sucks on and smells for comfort. I know I need to get rid of it all together since she is turning 4 on monday but I don't have the strength yet. We do have rules for blankie though. It doesn't leave the house anymore, not in the car and we have actually just set the rule that it doesn't leave her room. The last one is is a work in progress :)

Brianne said...

Oh yeah I keep meaning to tell you that I am going to post a pic of me when I was younger and I want to put a pic of Charlee next to it because I think we look a lot a like at that age. How old is she now??

Adam and Anya said...

Oaklee, I used to have a kitty I would take everywhere. I still have it...it's in a box in my closet.

Becky said...

oh...so sweet. i love when kids are attached to things, it's way cute. i love the name for her blanket too - bumpie. :)

john and brenda said...

I have a kitty in my cedar chest that I had when I was Oaklee's age!

Nancy Page said...

I just love Oaklee. My Brin reminds me of Oaklee sometimes. I just washed Brin's white bunny. It was brown from so much love.