Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's so hard to say goodbye...


Oaklee had to say goodbye to a dear friend and comforter tonight. Her "Bumpie" she so lovingly called it ripped in two this morning after being ripped over and over again. It was only about 1/4 the size of the original blanket. It was one of the striped ones from the hospital. At first, she just insisted on having a stripie blanket, any one would do. Later, she developed a love for the Bumpie called "my own". She could tell which one was "my own" by rubbing it on her face and smelling it (I did wash it every week). Slowly her own Bumpie started to get holes and be worn. Being carried and loved 24 hours a day will do that to a piece of cloth. Today was different. I tied the 2 remaining pieces together in hopes of extending Bumpie's life. Brian had to tie it again and tore it into 3 pieces. He let her draw pictures with a permanent marker on a new blanket. This let Oaklee think she could do without Bumpie and she placed him in the trash. When I came into Oaklee's room tonight to find Brian on her bed with her, I asked what was wrong. I found Princess Oaklee crying. It was heart breaking. I went into the garbage to pull it out. It smelled and was covered in food from being at the bottom of the trash. Brian says "it was time" and "the day had to come", but I did not want to see her cry. I was forced to be strong and she is going to bed with the new blanket. It doesn't have a name yet, but I am sure eventually it will be just as "loved" as Bumpie. May Bumpie Rest in Peace.

1 comment:

john and brenda said...

I hope this won't cause permanent pychological damage! Maybe that's what's wrong with Rich!!! (The burning of the blankie. JK Rich)