Monday, October 6, 2008

The Lessons I Needed To Learn

Conference was this weekend. Some of you may not know that 2 times a year, the leaders of our church have a general conference where they talk to the whole membership of the church (13 million+ members) via tv. Yeah!! We get t stay in our jammies on Sunday. Well, this year, I learned many things and I would love to share some them with you, my "Peeps".

1. Say I love You more.
Brian's mom always says I love you and at first, I was like whoa, what do I say back? Well, of course I love her, but do you say that to someone besides your husband and kids? I learned this weekend that I want to be more like Brenda and say it to all of the people I love more often so they KNOW that I love them. So, I love you, too Brenda!!

2. You can be strong without being abrasive.
I can stand up for what I believe and not be ashamed of it. I don't have to force my beliefs on others, but I can share. Which leads me to my next point...

3. Be slow to being offended.
Most people don't intend to offend others when they talk. Maybe they are not good communicators. Maybe they are just shy, not snobby. Maybe they need me to be a friend because it is hard for them to make friends. Sometimes we can change our outlook about someone when we choose to not be offended by them, but to love them instead.

4. Pride is the opposite of unity.
Pride tears families and friendships apart. Pride makes us want to be right. Satan loves the contention that brings into a home.It is when we think of others first, not ourselves that we can truly find joy. Let's be united as a country, as a family, as people.

5. Serve, Serve, Serve!!!
If you feel bad for yourself, find someone to serve. There is always someone hurting more than you. Help them. Love them. Don't quit. Some people (like me) have a hard time accepting service, but we need to. When we reject service, we are keeping someone else from receiving the blessings that they would receive through us.

6. Find Joy in The NOW!!
Enjoy the messy house, the yelling kids, the minivan... Well, a cooler car would be nice, but enjoy it. Our kids will grow up. We will never get this time back. Love them. Hug them. Don't wait till the kids leave the house to show your husband how important he is to you. Tell him now. Show him now. What if later never comes? Do it now. Share the gospel now. Share your love now!!!

I love you all. I get so excited to get on my blog and see who has visited it. My mom says people used to talk on the phone, but this is like having a big party line. I appreciate all of your blogs. Many of you inspire me. Some of you make me laugh, some make me cry. I am thankful for this community that we have here. I am so thankful that I have the knowledge that I have and that I am able to continue to learn from living Prophets we have on the Earth here today. Would the Lord really have his children on the Earth today with all of the crappy stuff without someone who is inspired to guide them? I don't think so. I am thankful for each of you!!

7 comments:

Mindy said...

wow Scottee, you are a great blogger! I love all the stuff you got out of conference. I guess I need to start taking notes so I can remember what inspires me too. and I guess I need to work on the "love you" part as well!

Cindy said...

Great synopsis of conference, thanks for sharing scottee, love seeing your adorable children's pics, and Brenda, I love you too!!!

Becky said...

I loved your post today. Don't you love the way conference makes us want to do better?

Brianne said...

Scotee, you are great! Thank you for sharing what you learned. It helped me remember the things I learned. It's amazing how telling someone you love them can really strengthen your relationship with them!

Adam and Anya said...

I love this post. How true. I think we can all benefit from writing down our thoughts from conference. I always enjoy your blog!

Susann said...

Thank's Scottee for sharing your thoughts. Very nice!

john and brenda said...

Well that was just the best blog ever! I love that you shared your inspirations and caused me to feel the spirit of the Lord. I loved conference and want to share what I learned too! Thanks Scottee and I LOVE YOU!